Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mariachi El Bronx

I love norteno and mariachi music! A friend of mine recently turned me onto a band called Mariachi El Bronx. The sound is very traditional....except for the fact that the lead singer is singing in English.

I quickly googled the name and discovered to my surprise that Mariachi El Bronx is really an American punk rock band (The Bronx) who decided to make a Mariachi themed album. The lead singer, a white guy with a shaved head, said he enjoys the music because it is much "happier" then the punk-rock themed songs they played before.

 

The musicians in the band had to learn how to play traditional instruments including 12 string guitars, brass instruments, etc... the sound is incredible. The songs revolve around traditional themes such as love, conflict, heroism, etc.... Follow this link to learn more about the band transformation...

One of my favorite songs is embedded below. Check it out...