Saturday, August 11, 2018

Tune It Up

I spent the last couple of days in the back yard cleaning up the living space. I figured it's a good time to trim up the plants, clean out the dead growth, and work on a couple of projects I've been thinking about.

A while ago I decided to keep an old window from our house. The window was located in the closet, and was removed during the construction. It had been sitting in the garage for a couple of years. I took the window out if the frame, stripped off the paint, and hung it on the fence. I like the way it complements our other windows in the yard.
The next day I decided to work on another project. We have a beautiful staghorn plant growing on the avocado tree.
It is getting very large and needs to be turned back. The nice thing about staghorns is that you can take the cuttings and easily replant them on another flat surface. I drove up and down the alley of Ocean Beach looking for suitable pieces of wooden artwork. I found an old fire pit mantle complete with tile,
a cool looking wooden chair,
 and an old wooden fence.
I took the items home, cleaned them up, and created items to hang staghorns on. I also used the frame from the closet window to hang another staghorn.
We spent the rest of the day relaxing in the backyard. What a wonderful weekend.