Friday, January 13, 2012

BMX at Dana

Every year our school holds a "BMX" show as a rewards activity for students. I always enjoy checking it out but his year's show was extra special!

In 2007 a group of friends and I built a set of dirt jumps in Ocean Beach. I remember two teenagers from Pacific Beach hanging out and hitting them. One of them was named Cody and the other was Mitch. I remember Mitch doing 360's and other cool stuff. I always remember Mitch as a friendly guy who loved riding bikes.

During the last couple of years I've seen Mitch at the local skatepark. He seems to be getting better every day. The last time I spoke to him he told me he recently picked up a job with a traveling BMX show called All Stars BMX run by a guy named Erik Soto. Mitch said he has been doing "red ribbon week" performances at schools around southern california. How awesome it would be for him to perform at Dana!

We contacted the Erik Soto and were able to set his group up to do our 2012 BMX show. I like his style....lots of height, speed, and flow (not x-games style with super technical spins). The students were impressed. The icing on the cake was that many of the students recognized him from the skatepark. A very cool thing!

Mitch was excited because he just received a sponsorship from East County BMX (one of the best bmx-oriented bike shops in San Diego). I posted a couple pictures of Mitch below......one is of a tuck no-hander and the other is of him jumping over me standing on the box jump. All of the kids thought he was going to hit me but I've been watching Mitch jump for years.....and had no doubts of his abilities. A very cool day! Thanks to Kathy for sharing the photos!